WEEK TWO

Dusky Dolphins off of the Kaikoura Peninsula move in for a proper introduction

Dusky Dolphin pod near the Kaikoura Peninsula comes in close for a proper introduction.

Happy Tuesday!

We are now moving into images made during week two of our trip.  This week began with a swim amongst the Dusky Dolphin pods that reside year round off of the Kaikoura Peninsula on the northeastern portion of the South Island.  Everyone should experience this swim at least once in their lives.  We spent over 45 minutes in the water with these amazing marine mammals.  Naturally, we had zero input toward what they did, especially whether they remained in the vicinity or went on their way.

Our primary job was working hard to keep them interested in us by employing various “techniques” like creative noisemaking or by diving beneath the surface (not an easy task when wearing a 7mm fullsuit and no lead).  It was a bit flattering that they stayed around for such a long time despite the fact that they undoubtedly had more important things to do, like catching their next meal.  I can only surmise that they remained for such a long time because they found our clumsiness completely hilarious.  Here is a short video clip that will give you some idea of the experience:

From Kaikoura we moved on to the mountains of Arthur’s Pass National Park and one of the wilderness lodges nestled in the Southern Alps.  We enjoyed amazing views of the mountains and even learned a little about sheep farming and the complexities of beech forest ecology.  Next stop included the town of Franz Joseph where we stayed one night before hiking on the Fox Glacier the next morning.  It is always interesting to walk on a mountain of moving ice!

I hope you enjoy viewing these images.   If you experience problems viewing the (flash-based) slideshow below click here to see the image thumbnails.

Until next time, take care.  Jimmy

BONUS – Below is a short clip of Cindy gracefully entering some frigid water during our first week:

22 Responses to “WEEK TWO”

1. Christin Eley says:

Jimmy your pictures are amazing! I didn’t think you photography skills could get any better but you amaze me! Thank you so much for sharing.

2. Ann Marie Hoeksema says:

Jimmy,
    How did you manage to return home after being amongst such splendor? Wow, thanks for sharing. Incredible.

3. Kate says:

A really nice set of images, funny how some of the most obvious are still the best? For me the sheeps face, the fern leaves and coiled fern were lovely, the panorama was stunning, and the trees had an unearthly feel about them. I love the one of you and Cindy in diving gear just popping out of the water, cute. And the owl is a real find, lucky you.

4. Gail Birdsall says:

You sure do take a pretty picture Jimmy! Seriously, thanks so much for showing off my country at its best. Cant wait to see more.:-)
    Gail

5. bob blalock says:

You two have a wonderful , exciting life, Keep it up and thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
    rgb

6. john dunne says:

oh dude,
    you and your hot wife are killing me!
    I can fold real small. Pls pack me for next adventure.
    Thx buddy.

7. Mel says:

Jimmy,
    Great images from what I’m sure was a wonderful experience. The light in many of these is amazing as is the details you’ve captured. As usual your underwater shots are very cool – love the subjects. The glacier looks pretty ragged; now that I’ve seen Balog’s film and heard him talk about his findings that’s not surprising. Wonder how long that one has left? Can’t wait to see more from your adventure.

8. Hailey says:

Gosh Jimmy – such beautiful images. You have such an eye for art in nature. Also, those Dolphins are fast! It gives me an even greater respect for the talent in what you do underwater. Can’t wait for week three!

9. preston says:

breath taking, Jimmy. Congratulations and thank you.

10. Mac says:

Great stuff as usual Jimmy.

11. Lisa Slater says:

Wow, those are great! I especially like the caption on the shot of you and Cindy in the water…..Eliza said she wants to go swim with those dolphins. I told her it would probably be a while. Thanks for sharing. Love, Lee