Let us gather and watch the Florida boy freeze…

Amazingly, it’s almost time for Cindy and I to shed our Montana ties and flee the cold like trueblooded Floridians:)  Already the morning bike ride to work seems much colder.  I know that soon it will be the gloves and not far thereafter the snow.

At least that is how I recall our time here in October of 2009.  I clearly remember the first snow which arrived around October 6 that year.  It seemed as though Missoula was hit by one of the more bitter winter storms in recent memory (as relayed by several long-time locals).  In tune with the mood, I awoke that day with less than an hour to be at class a few miles downhill.  After a lengthy dressing ritual, I began the journey.  After crossing the inch-thick ice-sheet covering the roads over the first few miles I was greeted by an otherwise completely normal commute on a Montana Monday morning.  Missoulians were going about their day without skipping a beat.  It was at this point that I realized it was time to make tracks back to Florida.

These memories of the abrupt Montana fall continue to haunt my more recent thoughts of engaging in underwater photography.  Nonetheless, I felt silly traveling 2500 miles without sampling the local waters.  Luckily, I have found an amazing assortment of aquatic species existing right along the detritus of man.  To date, I have paid visits to the Rattlesnake Creek (in my backyard), the Lochsa River (in Idaho) as well as Holland and Tote Lakes up in the Seeley-Swan Valley.   Here is a slideshow of a few images from the summer.

Hope you are enjoying fall in your part of the world.

\"\"‘}” alt=”” />
Underwater Montana – the cold and the beautiful – Images by James White

32 Responses to “Let us gather and watch the Florida boy freeze…”

1. Christin says:

Thank you so much for sharing your photos Jimmy! I love them! So clear I feel like I am swimming with the fish. Hope to get together with you and Cindy sometime when you get back. Christin

2. Hailey says:

wow. I could never pick a favorite because so many of these just blew me away. The light in these photographs is stunning. (And I love that doll head!) So glad you brought your wetsuit and gear because this is a world I’d never get to see. Thanks so much for sharing!

3. Curtis Jones says:

Hi Jimmy, great photos. Just drove back from Montana yesterday ! Had great fly fishing on the Henry’s Fork ( Harriman State Park section), Lamar River, Soda Butte, Firehole, Gibbon and South Fork of the Snake River. Alice is my cousin and we have met in Bradenton a few years ago.
    Curtis

4. Bob and MArlene Blalock says:

Beautiful fish. Got back from the Danube Saturday and glad to be here (Maine)Thanks for thinking of us. Summer will visit us here in 3 weeks.Keep up the good work,=rgb

5. David Ho says:

Excellent photos! It is so nice to see the beautiful freshwater underwater photos. I especially love the one that shows the trout swimming downward with the tall grass in the background. Beautiful stuff! Thanks!

6. Nice folio Jimmy and I hope you r back in warmer waters. Several of the fish images truly rise way above others for me because of their deepwater angle. In one case their is light halo, in the other the forest above. Most excellent vision, truly transcendent,….you know, transcendent trout. Couple salmonoids look to be sneaking in their as well. Be well and warm.

7. Rita says:

Hey Jimmy,

As always just beautiful. And yes the doll is somewhat freaking.

8. Lee says:

Great pictures, Gum! It looks so peaceful there. That kooky doll head would go great in this book I am reading right now called Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. The author uses old photos and weaves them into the story. They are all kind of creepy, similar to that doll! Enjoy the rest of your time in MT!

9. Christie says:

great shots!! I think that you have now spent more time in the PNW water than either Marc or myself have in the last 10 years! I love the picture of the fish with the trees in the background too. It is an amazing view. We are looking forward to seeing you guys if WA is still on your agenda!

10. Chad says:

Wow! I’m gonna have to start calling you the fish whisperer. Beautiful work.

11. preston says:

amazing shots, Jimmy. most of the fish are trout, yes? did you use your florida wet suit or something special for the really cold stuff? inspiring shots. thanks,

12. Anne Medley says:

awesome shots, jimmy. the doll head, however, is completely disturbing!!!

13. Mel says:

Jimmy,
    Good for you getting out there and taking a look. My favorite is the shot upward of the fish, catching the trees on the shore.

14. eilee says:

beautiful, jimmy. don’t usually see underwater photography around here.
    loved it. thanks. looks like an interesting world.

15. Ed Chiles says:

Jimmy,

I don’t believe you can ever go wrong when you folow your passion. Your recent work bears that out. Really beautiful. It is now more clear than ever that you need to see snd experience the Madison and it’s environs. The cabin is modest, but quite comfortable. Best, Ed

16. Peter Acker says:

Great shots as always Jimmy, but brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr………. rather you than me!!